It’s popular to say 2016, for a lack of a better word, sucked. But I choose to look on the brighter side of things and I have to say this has been a good year of food and drinks for me. Some weren’t winners, but I found some amazing restaurants and products this year and I would definitely recommend these to y’all. Here are some of my faves for 2016 in no particular order:
1.Halo Ice Cream, Birthday Cake flavorThis ice cream made me into a believer. If you ever wanted to get a “healthy” ice cream, Halo Top will probably be your best bet.
2. Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream from Rhea’s Ice Cream:Up until this point I have never had vegan ice cream. I’ve been tempted but never had the desire to spend up to $5 for a pint of frozen dessert. I may never do it after eating this delectable vegan vanilla and agave ice cream from Rhea’s in San Marcos. I also enjoyed my scoop of Goat Cheese and Raspberry Jam (don’t knock it til you try it), but it was that vegan vanilla that kept me silent as I savored the creaminess of this ice cream.
3. Pieology pizza:
Do you like pizza, but wish you could order one like a Chipotle burrito? Pieology Pizzeria has you covered in San Marcos. My friend and I went here and were impressed by the thin crust pizza and ingredients. On my half, I had spinach and kalamata olives.
4. Shwarma from Peace Bakery and Deli in Austin
Yes, I’m four years too late since the infamous scene from The Avengers but better late than never, right? And boy, was it worth the wait! Warm, greasy, and packed with flavor. This is a perfect item to have during your lunch.
5. Shaved ice from Snow Monster
I’ve already been to this location twice this year and wrote about my first experience. The last time I went I made a Thai tea inspired ice with Thai tea syrup, mochi, tapioca balls, and condensed milk. It’s the best kind of treat during the summer
6. Swiss Mocha Almond Coffee from Coffee Beanery
This may seem like an odd choice, but folks, this is the best coffee. It’s so good that I can drink it straight black. It’s nutty and goes down really smoothly.
7. Bean Pie from So Natural Organic RestaurantBefore you freak out, this was a very tasty pie. It’s a vegetarian pie that was sweet without being sickly sweet like some pecan pies (sorry fellow Texans) with a great texture and crust. If you’re in the Killeen area, definitely give this pie a shot.
8. Bienenstich from the Walburg Restaurant
One of the best desserts I’ve had this year and it wasn’t even chocolate! The bienenstich had a sweet, but not too sweet cream sandwiched with two pieces of sweet cake with the nuts adding a lovely crunch. If you don’t mind searching for a minute, head down to Walburg, TX for some bienenstich.
My favorite condiment that I discovered this year is the Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce. It’s got the right amount of kick with a nice peppery flavor reminiscent of Tabasco sauce. I would recommend giving this sauce a try.
What foods looked good to you? What were your favorite foods from this year? Please leave a comment about them. I’ll continue to share any foods and drinks that I come across for 2017!