As the Fall semester begins college students could use all the encouragement they can get. Especially for new students who are entering a whole new world. What better way to get the students motivated than with beloved Broadway musical Hamilton? But the songs aren’t just good for a good laugh and cry. There are some good words of wisdom to be found in the songs.
- My Shot: If you haven’t already, it’s time for you to start thinking past tomorrow. Time to start passionately smashing all expectations of yourself that only limit your ability. If you have the opportunity to better yourself, take it. You don’t have to stay the same person you were in high school (please don’t keep that teenager mindset!)
- Right Hand Man: If George Washington can recognize his need for a right-hand man, you certainly can learn to ask for help. One of the big things that helped me through college was having study buddies. Even if we weren’t in the same classes, being around people who care about their education forces you to step up your game.
- Wait for It: While sometimes you need to be passionate, other times you need to just wait for it. Be patient and don’t try to push yourself too hard. Enjoy your time in college. Trust me, those will be the best years of your life. This brings me to the next song.
- Take A Break: It’s not good to be non-stop (see what I did there?) in life. Take a break and enjoy your family and friends. If you don’t, you could end up making some big mistakes. Hopefully, you won’t cheat on your significant other.
- It’s Quiet Uptown: Forgive yourself. If God can forgive you, then you certainly can. Stop flogging yourself over your past mistakes. That F you got in that class doesn’t have to define your path in college. That nasty break up doesn’t mean you should give up on love. You can grow from it and still graduate. Stop stressing and push through the pain.
- The World Was Wide Enough: Competition can be a good thing, but there’s a limit. If you find yourself resenting the people around you, it’s time to pull up and reevaluate the path you’re taking. At the end of the day, you’re all trying to graduate and get jobs. Challenge others to be better, but don’t be jealous or mad if they’re doing better than you. And for God’s sake don’t challenge anyone to duels.
College can be both an exciting and frightening time in your life. I hope these songs and their messages can help you during these years of your life.