It’s the end of the year, everyone, and that means end of the year lists! For my list, I’ll do a mishmash of media, food, and events that I’ve enjoyed this past year. So let’s get into it! Here are my top five favorite foods, songs, discoveries, and miscellaneous for 2017.
- Starbucks Peach Citrus Infused Iced Tea: As I talked about in my review earlier this year, it’s a very refreshing drink
- Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars: I know Halo Top is the cool kid on the block, but I much prefer these amazing frozen yogurt bars to satisfy my sweet tooth.
- Cranberry and Almond Japanese Kit-Kat: The more of these Japanese Kit-Kats that I have, the more I think we Americans are getting ripped off of having good candy (Hershey is in charge of Kit-Kats in America whereas Nestle is the owner.)
- Sawdust Pie: Up until this year, I’ve never heard of this cool pie with coconut and banana and I can’t believe it took me this long. After getting a slice from a local cafe, I’m totally hooked and can’t wait to try and make it at home!
- Fried Tomato Sandwich: If you’re looking for vegetarian options, I definitely recommend this sandwich from Punch Bowl Social.
- “Heaven” by Shinhwa: A great breakup song to get you into your feelings and a great showcase of Kim Dong Wan’s vocal talents.
- “Move” by TAEMIN: If I could use one word to describe this song it would be sensual. It’s the kind of song that gets me up and dancing in no time. Plus, the 3rd version of the music video is superb.
- “Charger” by Gorillaz feat. Grace Jones: While short on lyrics, the beats and Jones’ super cool voice creates a great song for those long car drives.
- “I’m Better” by Missy Elliott feat. Lamb: Missy continues to be one of the best in the music game. And the aesthetics of this music video makes me want to visit the future that she comes from.
- “Super Power” by Shinhwa: Still not sure why this song wasn’t one of the singles instead of Touch (which I enjoy as well). Either way, this song goes hard and features some of the best rapping I’ve heard from the group.
- Shinhwa: This year saw the expansion of Kpop songs and groups in my Spotify and no group has taken up most of it than the legendary boy band, Shinhwa. With great hits, great music videos, and great personas, these six men are now one of my favorite acts and one of my favorite discoveries this year.
- Candy Raptor: This small, yet inviting restaurant in San Marcos, TX was a great find. Their vegan burger was very excellent and their homemade soda was topnotch.
- ProPublica: With cries of “fake news” it’s good to find some great organizations doing some great work.
- Dr. Praeger’s Veggie Burgers: Look, sometimes you’re feeling a bit lazy and you just want to pop in a veggie burger in your toaster oven. So far, these are the best frozen veggie burgers I’ve had (and for roughly $4 for 4 patties they better be!) with my favorite being the super greens. Would definitely recommend trying these out.
- Tous Les Jours: Oh man, this bakery is the bee’s knees! I went with my friend as part of her birthday celebration and they have some of the best baked goods. You can see one of the baked goods I got at the top.
Runner Ups: Sechskies, TVXQ!
Other Things I’ve Enjoyed
- Queen Sugar Season 2: The show didn’t suffer from the sophomore slump as it goes deeper into not only our three main characters, but our supporting characters. I can’t wait for season 3!
- Neo Yokio: I’m still not sure if I like this show or not. One thing that’s for sure is that it stuck with me as I tried to figure out what was going on in the minds of the creators.
- Power Rangers 2017 reboot: I’ve already made a post discussing why it succeeded, but I want to reiterate that this was a great reboot of the franchise. While a sequel seems out of reach, I’m glad this movie exists.
- Lady Gaga: Five Foot 2: I’ll admit, it took me two times to finish the movie. Not because it was bad, but because it was struck a nerve deep inside me concerning success, family, and trying to cope with forces outside of your control.
- Samurai Jack: I hesitated to put this show on here because it faltered severely towards the end. That said, it was still a great way to end the show and the adventures of our main character with great animation and voice acting.